all I ever wanted was the world
12.14.2012 1:09 PM
Now Playing: Marina & the Diamonds - Primadonna Girl

Okay now great this freaking song is stuck in my head.
But she's so amazing! Her concept and lyrical direction is amazing. Sorta reminds me of Lady Gaga The Fame era.
Someone said her first album, The Family Jewels(FJ), was more theatrical but isn't as nice to listen to, which I agree. Her second album, Electra Hearts(EH), is cray cray! So much more stuff explored. EH was more dark, as compared to FJ, which I considered more colourful and more bubbly I guess? I like her single OH NO from FJ, bubblegum pop FTW. hahah!

And one of her videos (on her YouTube channel) was so SO VERY similar to Lady Gaga opening act in her Fame tour. I don't know how to explain it, it was just spooky. ~__~  /fail explanation/

okay I think I owe you readers something which I've wanted to do a long long time ago.
Let me tell you the top 3 albums I'd like to have!

OKAY WAIT NEVER MIND I CHANGE MY MIND I'LL TELL YOU GUYS NEXT TIME.

okay anyway let me recall my experience of working!
why yes, I worked for about 4 days straight, good experience! (but what a horrible workout for my body hurhur)
6 dollars/hour but -1 hour for lunch and dinner breaks. + $50 completion bonus at the end. sounds pretty good right?
okay wait until I tell you who we(huimin, sasha, and me) were working for.

CROCS. (for their expo sale)

OH NO THE HORRORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I hope you didn't faint from the shock. And yes, I've degraded to the point where I'll work for anyone who wants to employ me. u__u
(Thanks to huimin who found and introduced the job)
okay so 1st day reported at expo hall 4A at about 11:50 with sasha and huimin cos briefing time was 12pm. And there was this lady standing around there who told us to look at the list on the door and remember our identification code or whatever. (I still remember mine: PS13. cos I remember saying it resembles PSLE. ~__~ and how dumb of me to scribble it on my palm as I was afraid I would forget)Then we were just standing there,
waiting.
waiting.
waiting.
until we all went in, like after about, it felt like, 20 minutes?

They settled all the administration stuff. So we lined up according to our identification code. I think huimin's was PS10 and Sasha's was SLU3. Which means she was assigned to a different group. oh dear. They gave us a form and a nametag thing to fill in. And then we waited while the others got their forms and stuff.

Then we sat down and gathered around for another lady to repeat everything on the list of terms & conditions and we just nodded whenever she asked 'all right?'/'okay?' (In the beginning, she asked who worked with them before and these guy and girl with purple hair raised their hands. Only 2. Pfft. And she said it must had been a great experience for them to come back again, and I thought I guess its cheap money, who doesn't want it? And I thought it was quite slack too. TRUST ME TO HAVE BELIEVED HER) then they told us to line up according to our identification code. PS in 1 line, SLU in another, so on. Huimin and I went to the farthest right and had to leave Sasha. So we were like 'bye jiayou~' to her. okay so we waited(again) while they called our station ICs, while those who couldn't work that day was supposed to go off. (Oh and did I mention how bloody warm it got while inside? This lady said it was precisely why they told us to wait outside. oh and we saw Yew Kong/Yew Teck. haha can't recognize which one of the twin it was. COULD YOU IMAGINE HOW AWKWARD IT WAS. oh yes and Sasha said she saw her primary sch bus mate? yeah one of the RI students who were there. ~__~ EVEN MORE AWKWARD)

So the ICs came and led their respective groups away. We were led to the far end of the expo, where they would open these huge shutter gates to let those trucks unload the goods. Beside those gates were the enormous stacks of boxes where they required some guys to tear open the plastic wrappings and unload the boxes one by one for them to take out the shoes to sort. (And then obviously, they saw my figure and thought I wasn't suitable for that job, so they allowed me to just sort the shoes, which went with me just fine.)

So okay, the station IC called Sin Sing(I think. The other IC was this guy called Hui/Hwee. I'll refer to him as Hwee.) assigned me, huimin and this girl called Jennie to sort female shoes out by sizes. Okay so at first, Sin Sing just opened boxes for us to sort and we had to label cardboard boxes according to sizes. W4, W5, W6, so on(FYI, they were in US sizes). W stands for women, M stands for Men, those with both M and W sizes are unisex, and all the others(J, C) are all children. Then the few guys assigned to tear open boxes and deliver those boxes of shoes respectively to the sorters, poured like mountains of shoes upon us to sort. And so we did. Meanwhile the air-conditioner finally started working, when we were sweating out asses off. (For the whole of my working experience, smallest and biggest female shoe sizes were W4 and W11 while the mens' were M4 and M13. Seriously M13? I mean, it was almost the length of my calf -__-)

They said meals were provided, so when our IC told us to take our dinner, we made our way to the cafe at the corner to get something to eat. To our surprise, no proper meals were there. Just cakes. ~__~ I thought that was really it, so I happily went and ate one, thinking that that was our dinner. Besides I wasn't really that hungry, after which, Sin Sing came over and said, "Why you all here?! I told you all to go get dinner right!" then we were like ohhhhh~ she meant OUT OF THE HALL to get dinner, which means buying dinner ourselves. Right. We left, and Jennie declined to join us.

I ate Ban Mian which cost me $4 while Huimin ate bakchormee which cost her 6 bucks, and was too spicy for her. hahaha~ We went back, and continued packing, which I felt was considerably slacker than what it was in the afternoon. By then, all the shoes were displayed by gender and sizes and were ready for sale, and we were dismissed from work! YES FINALLY. okay so temp staff debrief. We gathered around somewhere(I forgot) and they said all the usual stuff. ICs will tell us when and where to gather the next morning. And then, she said because dinner wasn't provided, they will add $8 to our pay, WHICH WAS WELL OBVIOUSLY GREAT NEWS FOR ME. I EARNED 4 FREAKING BUCKS OKAY HAHAHA  compared to Huimin and Sasha. (Sasha ate this Korean meal thing which costs her 6 bucks as well and she said it wasn't that good. /makes mental note to self never to try the Korean stall at the Expo hawker centre/)

Well that was it. Nothing much for the next 3 days actually. Its just the same thing, only difference was that it got busier and we had to sort them out at a much faster speed. So can you imagine? started working from around 2pm and ended at 9pm on the first day and I ended up being exhausted okay. My legs, my thighs, my feet and my back were all sore from the bending down to pick up shoes and straightening your back to walk to the boxes AND THEN bending down to put them into them. Not only that, all the walking around has left my feet really sore and extremely painful and literally paralysed.

Yep pretty good workout I guess. BUT BUT BUT the not so good point? We were released at 9pm which means earliest we could reach home was 10pm. Travelling on the MRT at night, although not so crowded, isn't any better with an aching body(but thank goodness there were seats) And you know how we always like to drag and dilly dally so we (most probably) reached home at 11pm. (Jennie lived in Seng Kang and could just take the train down to Tampines and take direct bus from there HOW DAMN LUCKY OKAY)

And yes, for the next 3 days, completely the same thing. I mean, it was fine, I don't mind it being tiring. But it was EXHAUSTING when you go home so late and have to wake up so bloody early the next morning. (just because we spend about 1 hour on travelling). Plus, the second last night, we could buy some of the shoes at a discounted rate so we ended up going around and picking shoes. Went home really late and had to sacrifice some of my precious sleep since I had to pack for class chalet, which made me end up bringing some really fat bag for the last day of work even though they had said try not to bring any bags. (It wasn't actually that fat actually, but I FELT it was fat, I tried compressing as much as I could.)

Last day was quite fulfilling because we were on the brink of death but it ended early ^^ And then we broke some records okay~ It was amazing that we could break last year's expo sale volume just on the first day. AMAZING RIGHT. So they said we(temp staff) could get 3 pairs of shoes free, and like one bag of the jibbitz free. I think the perm staff could get better stuff(well obviously) and they got only one day off, which was the next day(Monday). okay not very nice yeah, only one day? I would give a minimum 2 or something. 3 days might be too much, but that was what I was expecting a first. So sian for the perm staff.

Got 3 pairs of shoes, 1 pair for my mum, 1 pair for my grandma, and 1 for myself(excluding the one I bought for my mum on the second night). The one for myself was just to fill up 3 pairs of shoes because I thought it was a waste if I didn't take 3 pairs. I don't think I'd ever wear it though. Its not ugly, but it's just really hard to match with whatever I'm wearing. And it looks more like bedroom slippers. -__-"'

Went off to chalet after that. Thanks to Huimin's parents for fetching us ^^ I don't think I would've survived another train ride even though it is quite near to Pasir Ris.

Chalet? hmm... I mean okay great it was fun but I was expecting more. like AS A CLASS? Okay I know, I missed BBQ because I was working but, surely not only BBQ that we're doing stuff together right.Okay maybe watching horror movies as a class is quite fun. But night cycling as a class is damn bloody fun okay.
hahaha maybe I was expecting too much.

In the end, the only thing I've realized is that sleeping on trains is so comfy. I usually don't fall asleep on the trains. But it was especially easy comfy to sleep.too tired~! Something disconcerting was that on the bus home from Clementi, I don't drift off to sleep, I literally just fall into deep sleep. I would just wake up without even knowing when I actually fell asleep.
About
Choo Yun Yu. 19. Singapore.
Archives
December 2006 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 October 2010 November 2010 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011 September 2011 October 2011 April 2012 September 2012 October 2012 December 2012 January 2013 February 2013 March 2013 April 2013 May 2013 June 2013 July 2013 August 2013 September 2013 October 2013 November 2013 December 2013 January 2014 February 2014 March 2014 April 2014 May 2014 June 2014 July 2014 August 2014 December 2014 January 2015 February 2015 March 2015 April 2015 May 2015 June 2015 July 2015 September 2015 October 2015 November 2015 April 2016 June 2017
Thanks
Sylvia Plath and her bell jar;
elmotreefor his utmost patience in design and coding; with greatly-appreciated help from circuitfusednccxx