bored to death
1.09.2015
7:31 PM
It is inconceivable how the shop can be empty for hours on end. Okay no I'm just exaggerating but ... there could be customers, but they only come in once half an hour?! They browse through the products, and they wouldn't buy anything.
It is astonishing how the air could be so still. It's scary to see how the outside could be filled with life, people strolling past and occasionally expressing interest in the plates there are in the shop. And the shop is dead, dusty, though brightly lit. The soft whir of the air-conditioning and the repetition of the playlist of songs contaminate my mind with boredom. It doesn't help that my lunch is inducing food coma and the drowsiness pulsing through my eyes, injecting an inexplicable heaviness that threatens to blind my sight.
I keep myself sane by playing songs I like, and I specifically pick songs that suit the atmosphere and feeling of the shop. #bestemployeeaward
Perhaps I should do something to keep myself busy. But all the packing for the orders are done. I don't feel like cleaning up the place.
This explains why I'm so free and just spending my time spamming this platform.
okay wtf this caucasian family looked like they were about to enter the shop literally a meter away from the entrance and they suddenly changed their minds and walked away. Wow thanks a lot.
Maybe they saw me. Maybe its just my face. Maybe I'm too ugly.
Yesterday I was assigned to SAM. I was helping a customer gift-wrap a few plates andbeing the failure that I am, I underestimated the amount of wrapping paper I needed and took a really long time. My customer, who was an Israeli lady (kewl rightz), came in and offered to help me with the wrapping, and obviously since she saw how I can't gift-wrap for nuts, I had to allow her even though I'm making her do the work. Although a little ugly, she wrapped faster than me measuring out the wrapping paper needed (and I still got it wrong).
When paying, I started making small chat and since she was caucasian and spoke with an accent, I asked her where she was from. She said, "Israel." two times before I understood. LIKE OOOOOOOOOH SO COOL RIGHT. (thinking about it, there's a synagogue opposite SAM along Waterloo street, she was probably there to pray) Then I had the inkling to ask her about Gaza AND THEN I WAS LIKE OKAY NO WRONG TOPIC DON'T EVEN SAY GAZA >__> I'm so inappropriate. argh.
The other customer who was so cute was this French lady. So again while paying, I asked her where she was from (because again, she's caucasian and her English was kind of awkward), "France." "ooohhhhh" I responded, well who wouldn't. Then she said something like, "Whenever I say I'm from France, they always say oooh" Then she said she likes Singapore, clean, clear (weather) etc etc... I can't really remember the order of the conversation, I said I haven't been to France, Can't really remember what she said (because of her awkward English), but she said something like she comes from a place called xxx (somewhere that start with a "b", can't really catch what she said,), which is located at the southwest of France. (after checking the map, maybe its Bordeaux? or Bayonne) "where its clear, clean, just like Singapore!" She literally waved her hands around haha! She also said her hometown is known for wine production. And then she said, in Paris, if I look Asian / is not Caucasian, I would be in danger :o Then she wished me all the best and wish I can visit France in the future :) She's super nice, and friendly, like friendlier than a lot of the normal-friendliness-level customers.
So inappropriate me can't help but I almost asked about Charlie Hebdo and almost wanted to spout, "Je suis Charlie." And in my mind I was almost gloating at the expected shocked face she might have upon hearing that. But yes okay I know it wasn't nice to say it SO I WAS LIKE OKAY WRONG TOPIC MOVE AWAY
So far all the customers I've received at SAM are just generally nicer than those at MW. >__> at least I'm more willing to shout "hi, hello! Welcome!" at SAM than at MW.
Okay, I know this is weird but I always hesitate to shout "hi welcome!" whenever there are already customers in the shop. I almost always never say hi to incoming customers when there already are customers in the shop. ~__~ I don't know, maybe I feel that shouting would distract/affect the experience the customer has in the shop? I can't pinpoint exactly why.
It is ironically Friday and also one of the emptiest days I have had.
OKAY 30 MINUTES TO CLOSING AND THERE'S A BARRAGE OF CUSTOMERS?!
(edit. as expected they didn't buy anything zzz)
It is astonishing how the air could be so still. It's scary to see how the outside could be filled with life, people strolling past and occasionally expressing interest in the plates there are in the shop. And the shop is dead, dusty, though brightly lit. The soft whir of the air-conditioning and the repetition of the playlist of songs contaminate my mind with boredom. It doesn't help that my lunch is inducing food coma and the drowsiness pulsing through my eyes, injecting an inexplicable heaviness that threatens to blind my sight.
I keep myself sane by playing songs I like, and I specifically pick songs that suit the atmosphere and feeling of the shop. #bestemployeeaward
Perhaps I should do something to keep myself busy. But all the packing for the orders are done. I don't feel like cleaning up the place.
This explains why I'm so free and just spending my time spamming this platform.
okay wtf this caucasian family looked like they were about to enter the shop literally a meter away from the entrance and they suddenly changed their minds and walked away. Wow thanks a lot.
Yesterday I was assigned to SAM. I was helping a customer gift-wrap a few plates and
When paying, I started making small chat and since she was caucasian and spoke with an accent, I asked her where she was from. She said, "Israel." two times before I understood. LIKE OOOOOOOOOH SO COOL RIGHT. (thinking about it, there's a synagogue opposite SAM along Waterloo street, she was probably there to pray) Then I had the inkling to ask her about Gaza AND THEN I WAS LIKE OKAY NO WRONG TOPIC DON'T EVEN SAY GAZA >__> I'm so inappropriate. argh.
The other customer who was so cute was this French lady. So again while paying, I asked her where she was from (because again, she's caucasian and her English was kind of awkward), "France." "ooohhhhh" I responded, well who wouldn't. Then she said something like, "Whenever I say I'm from France, they always say oooh" Then she said she likes Singapore, clean, clear (weather) etc etc... I can't really remember the order of the conversation, I said I haven't been to France, Can't really remember what she said (
So inappropriate me can't help but I almost asked about Charlie Hebdo and almost wanted to spout, "Je suis Charlie." And in my mind I was almost gloating at the expected shocked face she might have upon hearing that. But yes okay I know it wasn't nice to say it SO I WAS LIKE OKAY WRONG TOPIC MOVE AWAY
So far all the customers I've received at SAM are just generally nicer than those at MW. >__> at least I'm more willing to shout "hi, hello! Welcome!" at SAM than at MW.
Okay, I know this is weird but I always hesitate to shout "hi welcome!" whenever there are already customers in the shop. I almost always never say hi to incoming customers when there already are customers in the shop. ~__~ I don't know, maybe I feel that shouting would distract/affect the experience the customer has in the shop? I can't pinpoint exactly why.
It is ironically Friday and also one of the emptiest days I have had.
OKAY 30 MINUTES TO CLOSING AND THERE'S A BARRAGE OF CUSTOMERS?!
(edit. as expected they didn't buy anything zzz)
About
Choo Yun Yu. 19. Singapore.
Archives
December 2006
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
October 2010
November 2010
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
September 2011
October 2011
April 2012
September 2012
October 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
September 2013
October 2013
November 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April 2014
May 2014
June 2014
July 2014
August 2014
December 2014
January 2015
February 2015
March 2015
April 2015
May 2015
June 2015
July 2015
September 2015
October 2015
November 2015
April 2016
June 2017
Thanks
Sylvia Plath and her bell jar;elmotreefor his utmost patience in design and coding; with greatly-appreciated help from circuitfusednccxx
